The University Staff Advisory Council represents the needs of staff to senior administration, advocates for fair and equitable policies, and thinks proactively about how to make UR an employer of choice.
- Earth Day is next Wednesday, April 22 and Dining Services is celebrating by offering our campus community some deals that are great for your wallet and the environment. Check it out!
- All staff are invited to join USAC for a budget update from David Hale and Mark Detterick at 2:30pm on May 12!
- National Administrative Professionals Day is on Wednesday, April 22. Be sure to say "thanks" in some way to those who help our University run smoothly!
- UR’s own Jane Berry, Associate Professor of Psychology, will speak with the Elder Care group on memory and dementia, and challenges of caring for aging loved ones, on Wednesday at noon. Join us!
- UR Downtown is part of the Metrocash Coalition, a group of Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites providing free tax preparation services throughout the Greater Richmond area. Individuals and families who earned less than $53,000 in 2014 are invited to visit URD on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30-7 p.m. and on Saturdays from 10 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Taxpayers may use H&R Block's My Free Taxes to enter and e-file their own taxes with guidance from a trained coach, or have their taxes prepared by a certified volunteer.
- Box accounts have been created for all staff, faculty and students and these Box accounts will eventually replace Netfiles. Individuals will move their own files from Netfiles to Box so they can review and make decisions about what is being copied. If you don't regularly delete unneeded files, this is a great opportunity to do some housecleaning.
- University Museums is hosting a free Family Day on Sunday, April 12, 1-3 p.m., in the Lora Robins Gallery of Design from Nature. The event will feature hands-on activities for children, story time, refreshments, face painting, volcanic eruptions, potato printing, and exploration of the exhibitions. Visitors of all ages are invited!
- UR’s own Jane Berry, Associate Professor of Psychology, will speak with the Elder Care group on memory and dementia, and challenges of caring for aging loved ones, on April 15 at noon. Join us!
- Take Back the Night is an annual event to allow survivors, supporters, and advocates to help break the silence that exists around sexual violence. Please come out to the University Forum on Tuesday, April 7, at 7:30pm to let survivors know they are not alone and that the University of Richmond, as a community, will not tolerate sexual violence.
- USAC's Elder Care support group gathers tomorrow at noon in THC 310 for their monthly meeting. All are welcome.
- UR hosts the Special Olympics every summer, and the Torch Run takes place prior to opening ceremonies, where law enforcement agencies from across the state run with a torch - eventually ending at the Robins Center to kick off the event. If you're interested in purchasing some gear to support URPD's efforts, contact Sgt. Randy Baran.
- We're currently seeking nominations for staff to serve on the University Staff Advisory Council from July 2015 through June 2017. The nomination deadline is tomorrow! Once staff have accepted their nominations, we'll be in touch again with the whole staff on how to vote.
- You should have received an email yesterday about the University's transition from Netfiles to Box. Register for a training session on Tuesday 3/31 or Wednesday 4/1 to learn about how to navigate your new Box account!
- Don't forget to participate in this year's "Great Colleges to Work For" survey. USAC is hosting a survey "help desk" to support staff members who don't have daily access to a computer. Visit the Jepson G24-A computer lab at some point during the time frames listed below to complete the survey. Fellow staff will be on hand should you need assistance; light snacks will be provided. Friday, March 27 from 1:30 to 4pm Monday, March 30 from 11am to 1pm
- Chef Mike Curtin, CEO of DC Central Kitchen, will speak on campus tomorrow at 6pm in Alice Haynes. DC Central Kitchen is America's leader in reducing hunger by recovering food from restaurants, supermarkets, wholesalers, and local farms that would have gone to waste. Hosted by One Book, One Richmond.
- By now you should have received an email from ModernThink, inviting you to complete the Great Colleges to Work For survey. This is an important opportunity to share both the great stuff and the not-so-great stuff about working at UR, so that we can continue to improve! Please complete the survey within the next two weeks.
- USAC welcomes Mike Dixon, who joined the Center for Teaching, Learning, and Technology last month!
- Reminder about the employee wellness fair coming up this week!
- Join the Parenting Affinity Group next week for a session on how to conquer the kid clutter in your home!
- This year's Lavender Graduation Ceremony will take place on April 16 at 5pm. This is an opportunity to celebrate, and to honor allies who have supported LGBTQ campus life. Nominate a faculty/staff member or a student for Ally of the Year by March 29: http://commonground.richmond.edu/queer-ur/ally-award-app.html
Upcoming USAC Events
- M a y01
- M a y12
- J u n09
The University Staff Advisory Council invites all staff to submit a suggestion form with ideas, issues, or questions. All entries will be treated with discretion and confidentiality.